Author Topic: Preface  (Read 547 times)

Dr. Sadananda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Preface
« on: March 01, 2015, 02:06:42 PM »
Preface

The purpose of these notes is primarily for my own learning. If it helps others in the process, it is due to His blessings. Any discussions, comments and criticisms on the topics are most welcome, since it helps the stated objective. I intend to present first my understanding of Brahmasutras based on Shankara Bhashya. These notes closely follow the teachings of the sutras by H.H. Swami Paramarthananda of Madras. My humble prostrations at his holy feet. Shri Swamiji was a graduate of Sandeepany Sadhanalaya of Chinmaya Mission, and studied under Swami Chinmayananda and Swami Dayananda. He has been teaching for many years in various parts of Madras City. I had the privilege of attending his lectures when I was in Madras on my sabbatical. After discussing the first four sutras based on Advaitic interpretation, it is my intention to examine the other interpretations, particularly from Vishisht-advaita and Dvaita points of view. Emphasis will be specifically on their primary objections to Advaita doctrine and on the examination of the validity of their objections. In this connection, I had the benefit of helping Shri Gururaj, who was well known in Madhva community as former Pejavar Junior mathadhipati, Shri Vishwavijaya Tirtha, in translating the condensed version of Nyaya Sudha of Shri Jayatirtha of Madhva Tradition.

I am a student of Science and Vedanta, and therefore I do not claim myself to be an expert in Brahmasutra or Advaita Vedanta. If the learned members find errors in the contents or in the logic, I will be grateful if these are brought to my notice. If alternate interpretations are possible, those are also welcome. Editorial corrections in terms of English and in typing are also appreciated. As Shri Gummuluru Murthy pointed recently that it is difficult to translate some of the technical Sanskrit words into English; the meaning will not be exact. Hence initially both Sanskrit and English words are used with the hope that readers will get familiar with the Sanskrit words. Later mostly Sanskrit words will be used. This is not to discourage those who are not familiar but to encourage them to become familiar with the words since in the final analysis one gains better understanding of the subject. This being a serious subject one cannot just read and expect to understand. It has to be studied. Because of unfamiliarity of the words it may not be clear in the first reading, but the second and third readings should help. As the time permits, I intend to post one lecture a week, giving enough time for discussions and assimilation. As we proceed, many of the doubts get cleared slowly. A commitment or 'shraddhaa' is always essential to gain any knowledge and more so for Brahmavidya.