Author Topic: Definition or lakshaNa for adhyaasa  (Read 430 times)

Dr. Sadananda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Definition or lakshaNa for adhyaasa
« on: March 01, 2015, 02:17:34 AM »
Definition or lakshaNa for adhyaasa

Shankara gives two definitions for adhyaasa. An additional third definition is indirectly available and is often quoted.
      The first definition is:

'smR^iti ruupaH, paratra puurva dR^ishhTaavabhaasaH adhyaasaH' |

meaning 'the perception of a previously experienced object on a wrong locus'

In the rope-snake example, one is perceiving a snake - a snake which is already experienced before. A person who has never seen a snake will not mistake a rope for a snake. I am superimposing an experienced snake upon a wrong locus, which is a rope. This is called an error.

The second definition which is more popular and simpler and that is:

'atasmin tat buddhiH' meaning 'perception of an object on a wrong locus' - The snake is seen on a wrong locus that is the rope. Or perception of silver on a shell.

The third indirect definition is what was discussed before 'satyaanR^ita mithuniikaraNam' - mixing up of real and unreal.

When I say 'I am the body' - the error is seeing the body on a wrong locus 'aatmaaa' which is not the body. I, the immortal, is seen as the mortal - I, the all pervading, is seen as the limited - This is the error.

This is the adhyaasa lakshaNam.