Author Topic: Vishhaya vaakyam for the suutra  (Read 452 times)

Dr. Sadananda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Vishhaya vaakyam for the suutra
« on: February 24, 2015, 11:46:33 AM »
Vishhaya vaakyam for the suutra

It is again from bR^ihadaaraNyaka from shaakalya braahmanam (debate between yaaj~nvalkya and shaakalya) and is the basis for this second interpretation- tantu aupanishhadam purusham pR^ichchhaami - Here the word purushha means Brahman - After yaaj~nvalkya successfully answering all the questions of shaakalya, yaaj~nvalkya asks shaakalya a counter question about nirguNa brahman which is only known through neti, neti, not this, not this. In that context the above statement is made where aupanishhadam purushham means upanishhad eka vedyam brahman, that Brahman which can be known only through upanishhads.

Also in shaanti paaTha we chant - sarvam brahmopanishhadam - Brahman that includes everything is to be known through upanishads, thus providing additional reference as vishhaya vaakyam. We chant the shaanti paaTha (saama veda eg kena & chhaandogya upan.) as

sarvam brahmaopanishadam maaham brahma niraakuryaam | maa maa brahma niraakarot | aniraakaraNamastu aniraakaraNam me astu | tadaatmani nirate ya upanishatsu dharmaaste mayi santu |

Because Brahman is not available as an object for analysis or can be established by anumaana, let me not reject Brahman. Let me accept the shaastram and through the shaastram let me know Brahman.