Author Topic: Comparison with our own situation  (Read 413 times)

Dr. Sadananda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Comparison with our own situation
« on: February 22, 2015, 10:01:29 AM »
Comparison with our own situation

The analogous statement that Shankara uses is 'I am a sa.nsaari', i.e. one who is subject to the cycle of birth and death. He could just as well have said 'I am a person' or individual. Here, 'I am' is the general part and is true. It refers to a conscious and existent being. It is 'uncovered'. There is no doubt in our minds that it is true; we need no external means of knowledge to verify it. 'A sa.nsaari' (or 'a person' etc.) is the particular part and is unreal, like the snake. In this case, the truth of the situation is covered over, rather than projected, but is just as unreal. That we 'are' (sat) and that we are 'conscious' (chit) is known from the general part. What is hidden in the particular part is that we are bliss (aananda) (or unlimited, complete, infinite etc.). In its place, we perceive unreal aspects such as misery, limitedness, incompleteness etc. This error is the cause of all our suffering. In order to solve this problem, it is necessary to apply the torchlight of Vedantic knowledge to reveal the real particular part - not 'I am a sa.nsaari' but 'I am Brahman'.