Author Topic: Implication of adhyaasa  (Read 419 times)

Dr. Sadananda

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Implication of adhyaasa
« on: February 22, 2015, 09:41:23 AM »

Implication of adhyaasa

In everything that we do, we make the error of confusing what is real with what is unreal. We have a single experience but our understanding of it is confused.

It is just like the example of the rope and snake. In our ignorance we have a single experience - there is a snake - but in fact two things are being mixed up viz. a real rope and an unreal snake. When I say 'I know', we think there is a single entity - a 'knower' but in fact there is a real, conscious self and unreal, inert thoughts. In the sentence "I am a knower", 'I am' is the 'general' part, referring to a real, conscious and existent being, while 'a knower' is the 'particular' part and is unreal. The two aspects are confused and adhyaasa occurs. The changeless part (existence and consciousness) belongs to aatmaa and the changing thought process belongs to anaatmaa. The two are mixed up and the idea 'I am a knower' is the result. Aatmaa cannot be a knower since it is changeless and thus cannot go through a 'knowing process'; anaatmaa cannot be a knower since it is inert. The two are mixed up to form a new entity, a 'knower', as a single experience but this is adhyaasa.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 09:42:54 AM by Dr. Sadananda »